The reconstruction of the pagoda covers an area of 447m2 with the total investment of 11 billion VND.
Pho Cu pagoda located in Hop Giang Ward, Cao Bang city was initially a temple named as Quan De built under the Lê Dynasty in 1679 for worshipping Guan Yu - a general serving under the warlord Liu Bei during the late Eastern Han dynasty of China. Under the Nguyễn Dynasty (1802-1820), the temple had a new harem with three-level altar for Buddhist worshipping, and was renamed as Pho Cu pagoda.
Pho Cu pagoda was recognized as a cultural and historical site in 2002 by the Cao Bang provincial government.
The reconstruction project for restoring and upgrading the pagoda approved by the provincial People’s Committee in 2019 includes the three-entrance gate, the Quan De shrine, the Three-Jewel worshipping temple, the goddess worshipping temple, accommodations for monks, and supporting facilities.
The reconstruction is expected to be completed in early 2020.